The first thing we look for in the morning is our Mobile. No one can deny the importance of mobile phone and apps in our life. It’s like a part of our body, if one part of our body is missing even the smallest part we’ll not be able to function properly. The Same thing is happening with mobile, we can’t work properly without our mobile. This view is for a personal life.
If we talk about Business, can you imagine it without mobile? The Answer is a Big NO. Importance of mobile phone and mobile apps is accepted globally for personal life as well as for the business. There is an end number of uses of mobile.
Functions, user interface, user friendliness, hand carry feature, ease of access, processing power, visibility, bigger screen and other uncountable advantages of a small but Revolutionary device. With all these things smartphones are replacing computers. It is becoming as powerful as computers.
All of the things they would use a computer for can be done via phones. Say for example surfing the web, listening to songs, watching videos, chatting with friends, Making documents, E-mails and what not. In fact, in a lot of cases, phones are a much more convenient option. This means businesses need to revolve their model around phones or at least need to have a strategy that involves phones.
What is Mobile First Technology?
Web developers are giving prime importance to designing a website for smartphones, tablets, and Mobile over Desktop. Their basic design is for smartphones and then they improve it for desktop, see the reverse trend.
Let’s face Facts and you’ll never ask why Mobile First?
- In 2019 the total number of mobile phone users is forecast to reach 4.68 billion.- statista
- The two most popular app stores, Google Play had 2.8 million and Apple’s App Store had 2.2 million available apps.
- US adults spend an average of 3 hours, 35 minutes per day on mobile devices in 2018, an annual increase of more than 11 minutes. By 2019, mobile will surpass TV as the medium attracting the most minutes in the US.
- Apps account for over 90% of internet time on smartphones and 77% of internet time on tablets.
- The leading activity in apps is digital audio, with the average US adult listening to over 50 minutes of audio via mobile apps per day. Social networking is next, with 40 minutes of app time. The other major categories are mobile video, gaming and messaging. Of these five, gaming is growing most slowly.
- The report, a decade of Digital Dependency, says 40 percent of adults looks at their phone within five minutes of waking up, rising to 65 percent of those aged under 35.
- The younger generation is the most addicted. Those aged 15 to 24 on average spend four hours a day on the phone compared with 2 hours 49 minutes for all adults. The young also check their phones every 8.6 minutes, more frequently than any other age group.
- Almost half of adults said they would miss it more than TV (28 percent) and a desktop or laptop computer (10 percent) – a reversal of a decade ago, when 52 percent said the TV was more important than the mobile phone (13 percent). Among 16 to 24-year-old, 72 percent now say the smartphone is the device they would miss most.
- More people in the world have phones than a toilet.
There are several reasons why it would be in businesses’ best interest to have a mobile-first strategy.
1. Make a strong connection with the customer
Previously, businesses would rely only on advertisements to talk to their customers and provide the information. They would also have websites (which if you think about it is also a form of advertisement). However, these websites were built specifically for computers which as I’ve mentioned are declining. But the computer aren’t portable, you can’t carry it everywhere.
Smartphones, on the other hand, can be taken everywhere and almost always in hands. This is good for your business as you can communicate and engage with your customers at any time directly. Now companies are spending a lesser amount on Marketing campaigns for promotion and utilizing that amount on Social Media advertising.
2. Make your Website Adaptive
Smartphones come in various different sizes and mobile app websites need to adapt to it. Developers are making a website adaptive on all the size of a device. Customers use smartphones of different size. If your website looks good only on certain screen size but becomes a complete mess on other sizes, then your customers aren’t going to find that impressive.
This could be a big blow to your business’ reputation if it can’t even have a good website. So focus on developing a website that is adaptive for all the available size. Make it available on all the available platforms too i.e. iOS, Android, Windows, Blackberry etc
3. Payment method is changing
People are changing the payment method, there was paper money, then came plastic (Debit/Credit Cards) and now cashless payment. This is possible because of smartphones and not desktop. With the advent of services like PayPal, Google Pay, Amazon Pay, and many others, Customers prefer paying over mobile.
Online payment is easy to use, reduces risk, and Developers are trying to keep it secure. Well, simple it is. In seconds you can buy yachts and entire houses. This is now even more popular due to smartphones.
Your business needs to be geared towards e-wallets and other online payment methods. As that is how most of your customers would find more convenient. Big giants like Google, Apple, and Amazon have jumped into mobile wallet development.
4. Mobile Apps
“It’s not important, but Mandatory to have a Mobile App for Business.”
Smartphones are only as good as the apps they can play. In fact, apps are the whole reason smartphones are a thing. Your business needs to have an app. Even though your mobile website is great and all, an app is necessary.
Also, it should be an app that can adequately address your customer’s problems. This is much better than a website because smartphone users use apps a lot more. It’s far easier to open your business’ app on a smartphone than it is to open your business’ website on a mobile browser. There are some factors to consider when trying developing an app.
- You need to know your audience. This will allow you to make an app that does what your customer wants it to do.
- Whether it will excite your audience. Apps can be used for different things and a massive influence on whether people will install your app is if it’s exciting enough.
- Ease of use. Don’t make your apps complicated; it should be simple enough for the general public.
- Still not convinced! Check a few more essential while developing mobile apps.
5. E-Commerce and Mobile First Strategy
E-commerce business is at pick and mobile-first strategy is essential for this business. We have a great example of Amazon; the online bookseller turned the biggest E-commerce site. Starting from Clothing, Home appliances, electronic items, automobile, home services we need, groceries, vegetables to everything we can imagine is available online. This list has no end.
Whenever people think of buying something, they have mobile phone apps for every branded and non branded thing. The first preference customers give to online purchase. E-commerce sites should focus on fast loading pages. Making your business visible is essential because there is huge competition.
If you are still having confusion on shifting your business to mobile, look at these words of Mark Zuckerberg: “On Mobile, we are going to make a lot more money than on desktop”
6. Improve customer experience and ease of use
Customers prefer user-friendly sites over mobile too. So develop a user-friendly mobile app or else your customer will switch to other apps. They like everything on fingerprint and not ready to wait.
One thing you should keep in mind while a designing mobile app is deciding what is essential for a mobile app. There can be plenty of things; you have to decide carefully what can and what can’t be on your mobile app. Navigation options are also minimized for the smaller screen size and loading time of size should also be minimal. It helps to make a screen user-friendly, less chaotic and easy for customers to use, that improves customer experience.
7. A Route to generate revenue
In an interview, Mark Zuckerberg gave three strong reasons why Mobile was Facebook’s future. He says “For one, there are more mobile users. Second, they’re spending more time on it… third; we can have better advertising on mobile, make more money.”
Whenever people use a Mobile app, it’s a chance for business to make revenue. A Mobile ad is a new way of advertising. Business can take advantage of using mobile ad whenever people use their mobile.
For e.g. we are playing a video game over phone an in between when a stage gets cleared an advertisement pops up. People can switch a channel while you advertise on TV, but while advertising on mobile, customers can’t ignore it easily.
If your business adopts a mobile-first strategy, then you can have the advantage of a number of revenue channels. It’s a great medium to generate revenue. You can use push notifications also, and constantly remind them about your products and services.
Don’t mistake smartphones for something that’s only for games and entertainment – it has massive potential in any market if used properly. The only limit is your imagination. The Mobile-first strategy took its place in the market already but still, there is space for everyone to use it for expansion. It takes you to the customers of the globe.
The businesses who adopted mobile-first strategy are running ahead in the market. So don’t waste your time waiting more, adopt it before it gets too late. Explore the opportunity as much as possible of the mobile-friendly website and improve your performance in competition.